A 20-year-old woman has been arrested for multiple cases of online purchase scams for discounted tickets to the Universal Studios Singapore theme park, as well as Coldplay and Ed Sheeran concerts.
She is believed to be involved in more than 10 cases of cheating, with several police reports made between Feb 14 last year and May 17 this year by alleged victims, said the Singapore Police Force yesterday. Tanglin Police Division officers nabbed the suspect last Friday in Kampong Java Road and investigations are ongoing.
Anyone found guilty of cheating may be punished with up to 10 years of jail time and a fine.
The police gave these tips to members of the public:
• Make online purchases from reputable vendors only;
• Transact only with people you know and trust if advance payments are necessary;
• Note that scammers may use a local bank account to enhance credibility, so the account's owner may not be the person communicating with you online;
• Check that the person or company you are buying from is physically located where they claim to be;
• Never give out your bank account numbers, credit card numbers and personal information to anyone you do not know or have not checked out; and
• Do not provide any information that is not necessary to make the purchase.