Jailed 2 months for attacking teenagers

Tan Boon Hua (left) and Yeo Keong Boon stopped only after one of the victims pleaded with them.
Tan Boon Hua (left) and Yeo Keong Boon stopped only after one of the victims pleaded with them.

They chased and hit students in unprovoked attack

The trio ganged up against two teenagers about half their age and assaulted them in an unprovoked attack.

Tan Boon Hua, 31, and Yeo Keong Boon, 42, were each sentenced to two months' jail yesterday after pleading guilty to one count each of causing hurt to students Thaddeus Tan, 18, and Benjamin Chua Ding Sheng, 19.

They committed the offence with an alleged accomplice, Matthew Lau Lee Leng, 35, whose case is still pending.

The teenagers were sitting on a kerb near an SPC petrol station in Yio Chu Kang Road on Jan 14 at around 1.20am when they spotted Tan and Lau walking out of a convenience store. Their gaits were unsteady and they reeked of alcohol. As they walked past, Lau allegedly accused the teenagers of staring at them and shouted in Hokkien.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Chew Xin Ying said Lau allegedly kicked Ding Sheng in the right temple with his right foot. Yeo, who also reeked of alcohol, suddenly ran after the teenagers, and his two friends followed suit. The trio caught up with the teenagers and rained blows on them.

DPP Chew said: "During the assault, (the trio) chased the victims around the petrol station. The victims did not retaliate or fight back and they were in great fear of their safety. (The convenience store cashier) who noticed the assault tried to intervene by asking (them) to stop, but they blatantly ignored him and continued to attack the victims."

They attacked Ding Sheng for about 10 minutes until he managed to struggle to his feet. Meanwhile, Thaddeus managed to seek shelter in the convenience store.

The attackers stopped only after Ding Sheng pleaded with them.

He went to Changi General Hospital later that day, where he was found to be suffering from injuries, including bruises on his face and cuts on his chest.

Thaddeus did not seek medical attention, the court heard.

Tan and Yeo, who were both unrepresented, asked for their sentences to be deferred as they have to settle personal matters.

They were ordered to surrender themselves at the State Courts on June 5.

For causing hurt, they could have each been jailed up to two years and fined up to $5,000.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 19, 2017, with the headline 'Jailed 2 months for attacking teenagers'. Print Edition | Subscribe