Two people are assisting police with investigations in relation to a false message of a kidnapping at Jurong Point that was circulated on Wednesday.
The message claimed that two children had been kidnapped and two perpetrators arrested.
Yesterday, police said a 45- year-old man and a 40-year-old woman are being investigated for a possible offence of causing alarm. The penalty for causing alarm is a fine of up to $5,000. Investigations are ongoing.
Police had clarified on Thursday that no reports had been made of a child-kidnapping incident.
"We would like to advise the public against spreading unsubstantiated information which may generate unnecessary public alarm," said a police spokesman yesterday. "We take a very stern view ofanyone who knowingly spreads false information to mislead the public and will not hesitate to take action against such an individual."
ADVICE TO PUBLIC
We would like to advise the public against spreading unsubstantiated information which may generate unnecessary public alarm.
A POLICE SPOKESMAN
A similar case happened on July 31 last year, when rumours circulated that there was an attempted kidnap of a child at VivoCity.
After thoroughly investigating the matter, the police clarified on Aug 6 that no such thing happened at VivoCity or anywhere else in Singapore.
Separately, a woman was investigated last November for lodging a false report that her son was nearly abducted at Bukit Panjang Plaza.
She claimed that an unknown man attempted to kidnap her child by pushing the pram away, but fled when she intervened.
The police determined that the woman had provided false information after uncovering many inconsistencies in her account.