Briton charged over F1 track invasion

Briton Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia is accused of acting rashly to endanger the personal safety of the F1 drivers involved in Sunday's Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix race, near Turn 13 along Esplanade Drive. No one posted bail of $15,000 for him y
Briton Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia is accused of acting rashly to endanger the personal safety of the F1 drivers involved in Sunday's Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix race, near Turn 13 along Esplanade Drive. No one posted bail of $15,000 for him yesterday.ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

The man who walked across the race track during the Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix was charged with committing a rash act yesterday.

No plea was taken from Briton Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia, 27, who is burly and about 1.85m tall.

He is accused of acting rashly to endanger the personal safety of the Formula One drivers involved in the race near Turn 13 along Esplanade Drive at about 9pm on Sunday.

Closed-circuit TV camera footage released hours after the race showed a man entering via a gap in the fence. He sauntered across the track and scampered to the other side when race leader Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari emerged from the turn. He then climbed back over the barrier.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Marshall Lim sought a short adjournment to finalise investigations. He said Dhokia may face fresh charges.

No one posted bail of $15,000 for him yesterday.

His bailor must be either a Singaporean, permanent resident or consular officer from the British High Commission.

Now unemployed, Dhokia said the bail sum was too high for him and that he had spent all his savings on tickets and did not have that kind of money. He was allowed to make one local phone call.

Asked by District Judge Ronald Gwee if the embassy had been informed, the prosecutor said "yes".

A spokesman for the British High Commission in Singapore confirmed the arrest of a British national in Singapore.

He said: "We stand ready to provide consular assistance."

Dhokia's passport has been impounded. His case will be mentioned on Oct 6. If convicted, he could be jailed for up to six months and/or fined up to $2,500.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 23, 2015, with the headline 'Briton charged over F1 track invasion'. Print Edition | Subscribe