Restriction order against ex-MILF man lapses

The restriction order issued against a Singaporean who was a member of a militant group was allowed to lapse this month, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said in a statement yesterday.

The ministry said that while on a restriction order (RO), Abdul Majid "was cooperative and responsive to rehabilitation efforts".

"As such, he no longer requires RO supervision," it added.

Abdul Majid Kunji Mohamad, 66, had been detained under the Internal Security Act (ISA) in June 2011. He was released in June 2013 and issued with a restriction order, which limits his activities.

The former businessman had undergone military training with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in Mindanao in the southern Philippines, and aided the group in procuring funds and components for weapons.

Abdul Majid, who had been living in Malaysia since the mid-1990s, also went through training in weapons handling and the making of improvised explosive devices, the MHA had said in announcing his detention.

He was arrested in Malaysia under its ISA in May 2011 for channelling funds and giving logistical support to the MILF, and subsequently deported to Singapore.

Under Singapore's approach to managing persons detained for terror-related offences under the ISA, those who are assessed to have been sufficiently rehabilitated and to no longer pose a security threat are placed on an RO.

A person on such an order may not change his residence, employment or travel out of Singapore without official approval. He also cannot issue public statements or join organisations without approval.

He usually continues to undergo rehabilitation, such as counselling to steer him away from radical ideology and extremism.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on June 30, 2017, with the headline 'Restriction order against ex-MILF man lapses'. Print Edition | Subscribe