GE 2015 ballots to be destroyed on March 12

Ballot papers and other documents used in the general election on Sept 11 last year will be destroyed on Saturday, the Elections Department said in a statement yesterday.

In accordance with the Parliamentary Elections Act, they have been kept in sealed boxes and stored in the Supreme Court for the mandatory six-month period since the election took place.

"This is to ensure secrecy of the vote," the statement said.

The sealed boxes will be sent to the Tuas South Incineration Plant for destruction by incineration on Saturday.

Candidates who wish to witness the proceedings should inform the Elections Department via e-mail at candidates@eld.gov.sg by noon on Friday.

Lee Min Kok

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 08, 2016, with the headline 'GE 2015 ballots to be destroyed on March 12'. Print Edition | Subscribe