400,000 in Ohio city told not to drink tap water polluted with toxins from algae
Published on Aug 3, 2014 5:12 PM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Residents of Toledo, Ohio will learn on Sunday when they can drink tap water again after officials warned that the water supply was polluted with toxins likely released by algae blooms.
At least 400,000 people in the midwestern city and its suburbs were also warned not to boil the water because that would increase the concentration of the microcystin toxin.
Chemists testing water at the city's treatment plant "had two sample readings for microcystin in excess of the recommended 'DO NOT DRINK' 1 microgram per liter standard," the City of Toledo said in a statement on Saturday.
"This notice applies to ALL customers of Toledo water," it said, adding that water "should not be consumed until an all clear is issued."
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!