World Health Organisation announces first staff Ebola infection
Published on Aug 24, 2014 9:59 PM
GENEVA (AFP) - The World Health Organisation on Sunday announced the first Ebola infection among its experts, describing the infected person as an epidemiologist who had been deployed to Sierra Leone.
The WHO did not provide information about the sex, age or nationality of the person but said the patient was "receiving the best care possible".
The UN organisation said it was considering "the option of medical evacuation to another care facility if necessary".
Ebola has spread through Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, while Nigeria has also been affected, killing a total of 1,427 people since March. The WHO has sent 400 people to help battle the epidemic.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!