Saturday, Dec 27, 2014Saturday, Dec 27, 2014

World

 

Teenager test case in Maldives death penalty revival

Published on May 22, 2014 12:52 PM
 

MALE (AFP) - A 16-year-old boy has been charged with murder over a fatal stabbing in the Maldives, becoming the first minor to be accused of a capital offence since the death penalty was reintroduced, officials said.

The unnamed teenager is accused of stabbing a 21-year-old man to death in December in a drug-related fight in Male, capital of a nation better known as a serene tourist destination, police said late Wednesday.

Although it was not immediately clear whether prosecutors would seek the death penalty for the teenager, the laws were changed earlier this year in response to a rise in knife crime.

Human rights groups have widely condemned the reintroduction of the death penalty after a 60-year moratorium, in particular provisions in the law which would allow children as young as seven to be sentenced to death.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos