Saturday, Mar 28, 2015Saturday, Mar 28, 2015
World
 

Boko Haram kill one Chinese worker, 10 missing in Cameroon: police

Published on May 17, 2014 5:23 PM
 

YAOUNDE (AFP, REUTERS) - A Chinese national was killed and 10 others were feared kidnapped after an overnight attack in northern Cameroon believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram militants from Nigeria,  police said on Saturday.

“Boko Haram Islamists attacked a camp (of road workers). A Chinese was killed. Ten Chinese cannot be found since the attack. We think they have probably been kidnapped,” a local police chief said on condition of anonymity, AFP reported.

A Reuters report named Waza as the site of the attack, saying it was 20 km from the Nigerian border close to the Sambisa forest, a stronghold of Boko Haram which has killed thousands in Nigeria in a five-year insurgency for an Islamist state and threatens to destabilise the wider region.

The vast Sambisa forest is close to the area where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls last month.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!

Videos