South Sudan sacks army chief after rebels seize oil hub
Published on Apr 24, 2014 10:53 AM
JUBA (AFP) - South Sudan's President Salva Kiir sacked his army chief on Wednesday after rebels seized a major oil hub, unleashing two days of ethnic slaughter in which the UN says hundreds of civilians were massacred.
Rebels loyal to sacked vice president Riek Machar seized Bentiu last week. The UN says they hunted down civilians sheltering in mosques, churches and a hospital, in a wave of ethnic killings.
The president gave no reason for removing general James Hoth Mai, a move announced on national television, but sources attributed the decision to recent military setbacks in the oil-rich north of the country. His successor was named as general Paul Malong.
Kiir also sacked his intelligence chief, General Paul Mach, replacing him with General Marial Nour Jok.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!