Soldiers, vigilantes hunt for kidnapped Nigeria girls
Published on Apr 22, 2014 12:53 AM
KANO (AFP) - Nigerian soldiers and vigilantes are hunting "around the clock" for the Islamist fighters holding scores of schoolgirls hostage, an official said Monday, as locals claimed the number kidnapped was far higher than first reported.
The mass abduction blamed on Boko Haram militants in northeastern Borno state has been described as one of the most shocking attacks in the group's five-year extremist insurgency.
Borno's government has said 129 students were taken from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok when gunmen stormed the town under the cover of darkness on April 14.
Isa Gusau, a spokesman for Borno's Governor Kashim Shettima, said that 52 had escaped so far, after seven more girls were found safe on Monday.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!