Saturday, Aug 30, 2014Saturday, Aug 30, 2014
World
 

Nigerian army posts two divisions to hunt for missing girls

Published on May 10, 2014 10:25 PM
 
Defence spokesman Major-General Chris Olukolade speaks during a media briefing in Abuja on May 9, 2014. Nigeria's Army has posted two divisions to hunt for 200 schoolgirls abducted last month by Islamist rebels in an attack condemned globally including by US first lady Michelle Obama on Saturday. -- PHOTO: AFP

ABUJA (REUTERS) - Nigeria's Army has posted two divisions to hunt for 200 schoolgirls abducted last month by Islamist rebels in an attack condemned globally including by US first lady Michelle Obama on Saturday.

The soldiers are stationed in the border region close to Chad, Cameroon and Niger to work with other security agencies, said General Chris Olukolade, spokesman for the Defence Headquarters.

The government of President Goodluck Jonathan has faced criticism for its slow response since Boko Haram militants stormed a secondary school in the village of Chibok, near the Cameroon border, on April 14, and kidnapped the girls, who were taking exams. Fifty have escaped but more than 200 remain with the insurgents.

"The facilities of the Nigerian Army signals as well as all the communication facilities of the Nigerian Police and all the services have been devoted into coordinating this search," Gen Olukolade said in a statement.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos