More than 60 women, girls escape abductors in Nigeria: Security source
Published on Jul 7, 2014 6:27 AM
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AFP) - More than 60 women and girls abducted last month by suspected Boko Haram militants in northeast Nigeria have escaped their captors, sources said on Sunday.
Local vigilante Abbas Gava said he had “received an alert from my colleagues ... that about 63 of the abducted women and girls had made it back home” late Friday.
A high-level security source in the Borno state capital Maiduguri, who requested anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, confirmed the escape.
Gava, a senior official of the local vigilantes in Borno State who are working closely with security officials, told journalists the women escaped when their captors went out to fight.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!