Mandela opera cancelled after 3 performances
Published on May 27, 2014 6:20 AM
JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - An opera telling the life story of the late South African icon Nelson Mandela showed only three performances before it closed down for lack of funds, its producer said on Monday.
Madiba: The African Opera premiered on Friday at the State Theatre in Pretoria but was forced to close three days later when it ran out of money to pay performers.
“This is due to non-payment from Lotto,” said producer Unathi Mtirara, who is also Mandela’s grandnephew.
“We are still waiting for them to pay, we couldn’t continue pending that deal.” The opera, which tells the early life of the anti-apartheid icon who died last year, was supposed to be move to Mr Mandela’s childhood village and final resting place Qunu from Pretoria.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here