Friday, May 22, 2015Friday, May 22, 2015
World
 

At least 36 immigrants die in Libya shipwreck: Navy

Published on May 11, 2014 11:39 PM
 

TRIPOLI (AFP) -  At least 36 immigrants died and 42 are reported missing after a makeshift boat was wrecked off Libya’s coast, a naval spokesman told AFP on Sunday.

Colonel Ayub Kassem said the accident took place on Tuesday.

“The boat sank four kilometres off Garabulli (50 kilometres east of Tripoli). We were able to save 52 people of various nationalities. Thirty-six bodies have been recovered so far, 24 of them today (Sunday),” he said.

A pregnant woman was among the dead, he added.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!

Videos