At least 20 young mothers abducted in north-east Nigeria: Sources
Published on Jun 10, 2014 6:05 PM
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AFP) - Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped at least 20 young mothers near a town in north-east Nigeria where more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted nearly two months ago, sources told AFP on Tuesday.
There were conflicting reports of how many women were abducted from the nomadic settlement near Chibok in Borno state, with one local leader putting the number as high as 40. But the latest kidnappings, which happened on Saturday in and around the village of Garkin Fulani, 8km from Chibok, were the latest in a spate in the area.
"Available information revealed that the gunmen came around noon and abducted 20 women and three young men left to keep watch on the village," said Mr Alhaji Tar, of a local vigilante group. "All the males in the settlement were away in the bush with their herd (of cattle) for grazing when the abductors came to the village."
There was no immediate indication of where the women were taken and there had been no contact from the kidnappers, but a source at the National Human Rights Commission said no children were seized. The women were aged between 15 and 30, the source added.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!