Kenyan officials deny women kidnapped in coastal attacks
Published on Jun 18, 2014 4:36 PM
NAIROBI (AFP) - Kenyan authorities on Wednesday denied reports that several women were kidnapped during the deadly militant attacks against the town of Mpeketoni and surrounding villages on the country's coast.
Several media reports, quoting local villagers, said the attackers also abducted 12 women having already killed at least 60 people in two consecutive nights of carnage.
"There were no attacks involving women, and therefore those are false reports," Kenya's police chief David Kimaiyo, who is currently visiting the area, told AFP.
Another official, assistant county commissioner Benson Maisori, said investigations have so far shown that the attackers only targeted men.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here