Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014
World
 

Eight more girls abducted in Nigeria by Boko Haram suspects

Published on May 6, 2014 9:57 PM
 

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (REUTERS) – Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped eight girls from a village near one of their strongholds in northeastern Nigeria overnight, police and residents said on Tuesday.

The abduction of the girls, aged 12 to 15, follows the kidnapping of more than 200 other schoolgirls by the Islamist militant group last month.

Lazarus Musa, a resident of the village of Warabe, told Reuters that armed men had opened fire during the raid. “They were many, and all of them carried guns. They came in two vehicles painted in army colour. They started shooting in our village,” Musa said by telephone from the village in the hilly Gwoza area, Boko Haram’s main base.

A police source, who could not be named, said the girls were taken away on trucks, along with looted livestock and food.

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau threatened in a video released to the media on Monday to sell the girls abducted from a secondary school on April 14 “on the market”.

The kidnappings by the Islamists, who say they are fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria, have shocked a country long inured to the violence around the northeast.

“Many people tried to run behind the mountain but when they heard gun shots, they came back,” Musa said.

“The Boko Haram men were entering houses, ordering people out of their houses.”

Boko Haram, the main security threat to Africa’s leading energy producer, is growing bolder and appears better armed than ever.

People hold signs during a protest in Lagos demanding the release of abducted secondary school girls from the remote village of Chibok, on May 5, 2014. Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped eight girls from a village near one of their strongholds in north-eastern Nigeria overnight, police and residents said on Tuesday, May 6, 2014. -- PHOTO: REUTERS
 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos