Death toll at 23 in Casablanca buildings collapse
Published on Jul 14, 2014 7:05 AM
CASABLANCA, MOROCCO (AFP) - The death toll after three buildings collapsed in Morocco's largest city and commercial capital Casablanca rose to 23 on Sunday, officials said.
Fifteen bodies were recovered from the rubble in one day on Sunday, including two children and Moroccan actress Amal Maarouf and her mother, local authorities said.
News website Yibiladi said the actress had continued to respond to calls on her mobile phone for several hours after the calamity but did not elaborate.
Medics said earlier on Sunday that 17 people were still being treated in hospital, while authorities warned of more buried bodies.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!