Thursday, Aug 28, 2014Thursday, Aug 28, 2014
World
 

US calls for probe into Palestinian youths' deaths

Published on May 21, 2014 6:18 AM
 
A masked Palestinian demonstrator uses a slingshot during clashes with members of the Israeli security forces outside the Israeli-run Ofer prison in the West Bank village of Betunia, on May 16, 2014, the day after two Palestinian youths were shot dead by Israeli border police outside the prison during clashes following a demonstration marking "Nakba" or "catasrophe" of the Jewish state's creation. -- FILE PHOTO: AFP

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States and a top UN official on Tuesday separately called for an immediate investigation into the deaths of two Palestinian youths fatally shot last week by Israeli border policemen in the West Bank.

The young men were shot dead on Thursday as Israeli police responded to demonstrations marking the 66th anniversary of the Nakba – or “catastrophe” – of the Jewish state’s creation.

The group Defense for Children International-Palestine has released what it said was closed circuit television footage showing the unprovoked deaths of Musaab Nuwarah, 20, and Mohammed Udeh, 17. Israel rejects the footage however, saying it is doctored.

State Department spokesman Jen Psaki said the United States had been in contact with the Israeli government.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos