UN expresses outrage over latest deadly strike on Gaza school, which killed 10
Published on Aug 4, 2014 12:40 AM
GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories (AFP) - The United Nations expressed outrage after another deadly strike on one of its schools on Sunday as Israel began pulling some troops from Gaza in a widely-acknowledged step towards unilateral withdrawal.
The strike killed 10 people at a school in the southern city of Rafah where around 3,000 Palestinians who had been made homeless by the violence had been sheltering, in the third such incident within 10 days.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon strongly condemned the shelling, calling it "a moral outrage and a criminal act". "This madness must stop," he said.
The strike on the school came as Palestinian factions gathered for truce talks with Egypt in Cairo and world powers voiced increasingly urgent calls for the warring sides to lay down their weapons. "The bloodshed needs to stop," said a statement signed by the European Union and the European Commission presidents on behalf of the bloc's 28 member states. "We deplore the terrible loss of lives, including innocent women and children," it said, condemning the "intolerable violence" being suffered by Gaza residents.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!