Friday, Nov 28, 2014Friday, Nov 28, 2014
World
 

Saudi Arabia says has 113 more Mers cases than previously thought

Published on Jun 3, 2014 11:25 PM
 
An Indian worker wears a mouth and nose mask as he works near camels at his farm on May 12, 2014, outside Riyadh. Saudi Arabia said on Tuesday that a review of health data had identified an additional 113 confirmed cases of the sometimes deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers) that had not been previously recorded, bringing the total to 688. -- PHOTO: AFP

RIYADH (REUTERS) - Saudi Arabia said on Tuesday that a review of health data had identified an additional 113 confirmed cases of the sometimes deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers) that had not been previously recorded, bringing the total to 688.

The death toll in the kingdom from the virus has been raised to 282 from 190, the statement, distributed by the Health Ministry in an e-mail, said.

The revised figures come from a re-examination of data since 2012, when Mers was identified, that started last month. Of the total, 53 patients were still being treated, while 353 had recovered, the statement said.

The Health Ministry said it had put in place new measures to make sure data gathering, reporting and transparency were being observed, including standardisation of testing and better guidelines for labelling and storing samples. “While the review has resulted in a higher total number of previously unreported cases, we still see a decline in the number of new cases reported over the past few weeks,” Mr Tariq Madani, head of the ministry’s scientific advisory board, was quoted as saying in the e-mailed statement.

On Monday, Acting Health Minister Adel Fakieh announced he had relieved Deputy Minister Ziad Memish from his post. Mr Fakieh was appointed in April after King Abdullah sacked his predecessor Abdullah al-Rabeeah following a new Mers outbreak.

Videos