US soldiers charged with raping pregnant woman face Italy trial
Published on Jul 25, 2014 11:42 PM
ROME (AFP) - Two American paratroopers charged with raping and beating a pregnant Romanian prostitute will stand trial in Italy, the justice ministry said Friday.
The two soldiers, aged 21 and 22, were arrested on Wednesday for the alleged attack in Vicenza in northern Italy, where the paratroopers are based.
"The two soldiers will be put on trial in Italy. This decision is final," Justice Minister Andrea Orlando said on Twitter on Friday.
Italian police, who did not name the woman, said the paratroopers were accused of kidnapping and raping the woman earlier this month, before beating her, stealing her wallet and dumping her in a field.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!