Union leaders suspend three-day London underground train strike
Published on May 5, 2014 7:30 PM
LONDON (REUTERS) - Union leaders called off a three-day strike by London underground train staff hours before it was due to start on Monday, sparing millions of commuters a second week of travel disruption.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union, whose members staged a 48-hour stoppage in the capital last week in a dispute over ticket office closures and job cuts, said it had called off the walkout following last-minute talks with transport bosses.
RMT's acting General Secretary Mick Cash said they had made "significant progress" on the issues in dispute. "As a result of that progress ... we are able to suspend the action due to commence this evening and further talks around the fundamental issues of cuts to jobs, services and safety will now take place," he said in a statement.
Last week's strike caused widespread transport problems for people trying to get to and from work, costing firms hundreds of millions of pounds in lost working hours and productivity.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here