UK tabloid ex-editor Coulson says only vaguely knew of phone-hacking
Published on Apr 16, 2014 5:04 AM
LONDON (AFP) - Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson told Britain's phone-hacking trial on Tuesday he was only vaguely aware of the practice during his time at the Murdoch tabloid.
The defendant said he was never party to voicemail interception or in agreement with it.
Coulson also said that as deputy editor in 2002, he did not know the voicemail of missing schoolgirl Milly Dowler - later found murdered - had been accessed.
The revelation in July 2011 that the 13-year-old's phone had been hacked sparked outrage and forced global media baron Rupert Murdoch to close the News of the World - Britain's top-selling tabloid - within days.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!