Sunday, Apr 26, 2015Sunday, Apr 26, 2015
 

Suspect in Brussels Jewish Museum killing in custody for a month

Published on Aug 5, 2014 1:15 AM
 
This file picture released on June 1, 2014 and taken on August 15, 2005 shows the 29-year-old suspected gunman of a quadruple murder at the Brussels Jewish Museum, Mehdi Nemmouche. -- PHOTO: AFP

BRUSSELS (AFP) - A Frenchman suspected in the shooting deaths of four people at the Jewish Museum in Brussels was remanded in custody for a month Monday on charges of “murder in a terrorist context”.

Mehdi Nemmouche, 29, who spent more than a year fighting with Islamic extremists in Syria, was extradited from France to Belgium last week for questioning over the May 24 shooting.

A statement from the Belgian prosecutor’s office said the Brussels pre-trial chamber “has ordered further detention on remand of NM by one month.”

One of his lawyers, Sebastien Courtoy, said there was no proof of his presence that day at the museum, so “it is totally premature to condemn him at this stage”.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!

Videos