Most Russian troops withdrawn from Ukraine border: Nato official
Published on Jun 3, 2014 6:43 PM
BRUSSELS (AFP) - Russia has withdrawn most of the some 40,000 troops it had massed on the Ukraine border and those remaining are preparing to pull out, a Nato military official said on Tuesday.
The official, who asked not to be named, said Nato continued to see Russian troop activity near the border but "the majority of troops have now pulled back."
"A few thousand troops still remain in the vicinity but most of these units appear to be preparing to withdraw," the official said.
Nato head Anders Fogh Rasmussen said last week that some two-thirds of the Russian force, estimated by Nato at about 40,000, had withdrawn.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!