Man crushed by giant John Paul II crucifix in Italy
Published on Apr 25, 2014 6:20 AM
ROME (AFP) - An Italian man was crushed to death on Wednesday by a giant crucifix honouring John Paul II that collapsed during a ceremony ahead of the late pope's canonisation.
The 30-metre high wooden cross toppled over during the event near the Alpine village of Cevo, killing Marco Gusmini, 21, on the spot.
"It is an inexplicable tragedy. A young life, so many hopes, destroyed this way," Cevo mayor Silvio Citroni said.
"The boys ran in every direction when they heard the sound of the wood splintering. Unfortunately, that poor boy went the wrong way," he said, adding that further celebrations to mark the pope's elevation to sainthood had been cancelled.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!