Monday, Sep 22, 2014Monday, Sep 22, 2014
World
 

Inquiry sparks new child abuse claims in British town

Published on Sep 3, 2014 4:39 AM
 

LONDON (AFP) - Twelve new alleged victims of child sexual abuse have come forward following a report last week detailing horrific crimes against at least 1,400 young people in a northern English town, police said onTuesday.

Chief Constable David Crompton of the South Yorkshire police, whose force covers the town of Rotherham, promised to act on the new claims and said the report was a "huge wake-up call".

The results of an inquiry published last week detailed the gang rape, kidnapping and trafficking of girls as young as 11 in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013, and the failure of the authorities to respond to the problem.

Written by an expert in social services, Alexis Jay, it said the majority of the alleged abusers were described as "Asian" by victims, but said local officials had described "nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought of as racist".

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos