Thursday, Oct 2, 2014Thursday, Oct 2, 2014
World
 

French court orders extradition of Jewish museum shooting suspect

Published on Jun 26, 2014 4:09 PM
 
Police officers escort vehicles thought to be transporting Mehdi Nemmouche - the French national suspected of a shooting attack at the Brussels Jewish Museum last month that left four people dead - as he arrives for an extradition hearing at the Appeal Court of Versailles, near Paris, June 26, 2014. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

VERSAILLES (AFP) - A French court on Thursday ordered the extradition to Belgium of a man suspected of carrying out a deadly shooting at the Jewish Museum in Brussels, but his lawyer said he would appeal the ruling.

The court in Versailles, west of Paris, said Franco-Algerian Mehdi Nemmouche, 29, who was detained several days after the attack, should be handed over to Belgian authorities for killings “with a terrorist connotation”.

There had been a European warrant issued for Nemmouche’s arrest and an extradition request from Belgium.

But his decision to appeal means there will be a further delay.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos