Monday, Dec 29, 2014Monday, Dec 29, 2014

World

 

Second death confirmed in Brazil overpass collapse

Published on Jul 4, 2014 9:57 PM
 
A car is trapped underneath a bridge that collapsed while under construction in Belo Horizonte on July 3, 2014. Rescue workers pulled a body from the wreckage of a collapsed highway overpass in the Brazilian World Cup host city of Belo Horizonte early on Friday, July 4, 2014, confirming a second death in an accident that has cast a shadow over the soccer tournament. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SAO PAULO (REUTERS) - Rescue workers pulled a body from the wreckage of a collapsed highway overpass in the Brazilian World Cup host city of Belo Horizonte early on Friday, confirming a second death in an accident that has cast a shadow over the soccer tournament.

The bridge, which was still under construction, is located about 3km from Mineirao stadium, where World Cup games are being played. It collapsed on Thursday afternoon as vehicles were passing on a busy road underneath.

Rescue workers removed a car that had been pinned under the rubble at 5.30am (0830 GMT) on Friday, finding one body in it, the city's fire department told Reuters. On Thursday a bus driver was killed behind the wheel after being crushed by the falling structure.

Twenty-two people were injured in the accident, including several construction workers, the spokesman said.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos