Russia withheld intelligence on Boston bombing suspect: Report
Published on Apr 10, 2014 10:51 AM
NEW YORK (AFP) - Russia declined to provide the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) with information about one of the Boston marathon bombing suspects two years before the attack, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.
Three people were killed and about 260 wounded on April 15 last year when two bombs made of explosives-packed pressure cookers went off near the finish line of the marathon. The US authorities are seeking the death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, then 19, for his alleged role in the blasts. His brother Tamerlan, 26, died after an exchange of fire with police after the Chechen Muslim brothers went on the run, sparking a four-day manhunt.
Citing an inspector general's review of how American intelligence and law enforcement agencies could have thwarted the bombing, the Times said that Russian officials told the FBI in 2011 that Tamerlan "was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer". The Russian side said that Tamerlan "had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country's region to join unspecified underground groups".
But, according to The Times, after an initial investigation by FBI agents in Boston, the Russians declined several requests for additional information they had about him.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!