Friday, Oct 24, 2014Friday, Oct 24, 2014
World
 

Foley captors demanded US$132 million ransom: Employer

Published on Aug 22, 2014 6:51 AM
 
US journalist James Foley (right) arrives with fellow reporter Clare Gillis (not pictured), after being released by the Libyan government, at Rixos hotel in Tripoli on May 18, 2011. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Journalist James Foley's jihadist captors had demanded a ransom of 100 million euros - US$ 132 million (S$164.96 million) - for his release, his employer said on Thursday after a video of the American's gruesome execution was made public.

"GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni confirms that the initial ransom demand from Jim Foley's captors was 100 million euros," a spokesman for the news website said.

Foley was reporting from Syria for GlobalPost and other outlets including AFP when he was abducted in November 2012, and Balboni had been closely involved in efforts to locate and free the photojournalist.

The extremist group, which calls itself the Islamic State, has marauded across large areas of Iraq in recent months.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos