Footballer Lionel Messi far behind sport's top earners
Published on May 20, 2014 7:36 PM
Lionel Messi may well be the world's highest-paid footballer now after he inked a new three-year contract with Barcelona, with a reported nett annual salary of 20 million euros (S$34.3 million).
His new deal surpasses that of Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo, who is reportedly earning 17 million euros nett a year.
But neither of them can match the salaries, or winnings, pulled in by athletes from American sports such as baseball and American football.
Here is a list of the world's highest-earning athletes, without endorsements, as of June 2013 compiled by Forbes:
1) Floyd Mayweather* (Winnings: US$73.5 million or S$92 million)
2) Manny Pacquiao* (Winnings: US$64 million)
3) Aaron Rodgers (Annual Salary: US$43 million)
Sport: American football (Green Bay Packers)
4) Drew Brees (Salary: US$40 million)
Sport: American football (New Orlean Saints)
5) Joe Flacco (Salary: US$35.9 million)
Sport: American football (Baltimore Ravens)
6) Tom Brady (Salary: US$31.3 million)
Sport: American football (New England Patriots)
7) Alex Rodriguez (Salary: US$29.8 million)
Sport: Baseball (Third baseman, New York Yankees)
8) Fernando Alonso (Salary: US$28 million)
Sport: Formula One racing (Ferrari)
9) Kobe Bryant (Salary: US$27.9 million)
Sport: Basketball (Los Angeles Lakers)
10) Lionel Messi (Salary: US$27 million)
Sport: Football (FC Barcelona)
* - earnings between June 2013 and May 2014.