Thursday, Nov 27, 2014Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Sport
 

Badminton: Lee Chong Wei confirms that he will play until 2016 Olympics

Published on Apr 8, 2014 7:41 PM
 

World No. 1 badminton player Lee Chong Wei confirmed on Tuesday that he intends to persevere until the 2016 Olympics, making it a fourth consecutive Games for the Malaysian.

While Lee has previously hinted that he could follow rival Lin Dan of China into retirement, Lee said he has been persuaded to continue by Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin.

He said: "I still want to win a medal for Malaysia, no matter what medal it is. It would be my fourth Olympics by then, and it's very tough, but I will persevere."

Lee, who is the men's singles top seed at this week's OUE Singapore Open, took time to meet some of Singapore's young budding badminton players at a special dinner organised at the Mandarin Orchard on Tuesday.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos