Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014
Sport
 

Formula One: Huelkenberg denies strike threat over wages but admits issue

Published on Apr 17, 2014 5:03 PM
 
Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg of Germany poses during a photo shoot ahead of the Formula One Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 13, 2014. Nico Huelkenberg on Thursday, April 17, 2014, denied reports that Formula One drivers were threatening to go on strike over unpaid salaries, but he called for quick action to resolve the problem. -- FILE PHOTO: AFP

SHANGHAI (AFP) - Nico Huelkenberg on Thursday denied reports that Formula One drivers were threatening to go on strike over unpaid salaries, but he called for quick action to resolve the problem.

The German said it was "not good for the sport" that drivers were kept waiting for their wages and said discussions were under way to find a solution.

Germany's Sport Bild magazine claimed this week that several drivers for smaller teams, including Huelkenberg, who drove for Sauber last year, were still owed unpaid wages dating back to 2013. It reported that the drivers' union, the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, had signed a document vowing to strike if the situation continued.

Huelkenberg, third in the drivers' standings with Force India after three races, was asked about a possible strike at the Chinese Grand Prix on Thursday and said firmly: "No, that is not true."

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos