Friday, Nov 28, 2014Friday, Nov 28, 2014
Sport
 

Newspaper ad against Becks' plans for Miami arena

Published on Apr 16, 2014 2:06 PM
 
Opponents of the 25,000-seater waterfront stadium proposal from David Beckham, seen here addressing the media at Miami Dade College in downtown Miami last month, said it would hurt the city's ambition to position the port as a major gateway for shippers, given its proximity to the Panama Canal. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

MIAMI (United States) - An alliance of shipping interests and a billionaire car dealer launched a newspaper advertisement on Monday protesting against retired English football star David Beckham's plans for an arena at the port of Miami.

They said that it threatens the city's plans to capitalise on the expansion of the Panama Canal.

"We cannot jeopardise well-paying jobs, like crane operators, longshore workers and mechanics, for low-paying stadium jobs, such as concession sales," the Miami Seaport Alliance said in a full-page advertisement that ran in the Miami Herald and its sister Spanish-language paper El Nuevo Herald.

The group is led by John Fox who has retired as Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's head of governmental affairs.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos