Football: Barca don't owe me apology over Enrique meeting, says Martino
Published on May 10, 2014 10:06 PM
MADRID (REUTERS) - Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino does not believe the club owe him an apology after sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta was filmed this week meeting Celta Vigo coach and former Barca player Luis Enrique.
The meeting, which apparently took place at Enrique's home, prompted speculation Barca were preparing to appoint the former Spain midfielder to replace Martino, who has had a disappointing first season in charge at the Nou Camp.
"Nobody needs to ask my forgiveness," Martino, who has a contract until the end of next term, told a news conference ahead of Sunday's La Liga game at Elche. "Nothing the club has done is inappropriate," added the Argentine. "They did not make any error. Either now or in the 10 months I have been here."
At the start of last month, Barca were on course to repeat their historic treble from 2009 when they won the Champions League, La Liga and the King's Cup under Pep Guardiola, becoming the only Spanish club to achieve the feat.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!