NBA: Yao Ming denies eyeing deal to buy Clippers
Published on Jun 14, 2014 6:59 PM
TAIPEI (AFP) - Retired Chinese basketball star Yao Ming on Saturday denied a report that he was lining up investors to bid for the National Basketball Association's Los Angeles Clippers if embattled owner Donald Sterling has to sell.
"I can't confirm it because it is completely a rumour," he told reporters when asked about the report at an NBA event in Taipei. "Currently I don't have such a plan" to buy any NBA team, said the former Houston Rockets star.
ESPN.com reported last month that Yao was the latest celebrity to be linked to a potential Clippers bid, since Sterling was engulfed in a scandal over racially charged remarks that became public in April.
ESPN, citing unnamed sources, said that Yao and another former NBA player, Grant Hill, were working separately to find investors to launch bids.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!