Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014
Sport
 

NBA: Warriors dropped boycott threat after Sterling punished

Published on Apr 30, 2014 5:30 PM
 
A supporter holds a photo cutout of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling while standing in line for the NBA Playoff game 5 between Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on April 29, 2014. The Golden State Warriors were prepared to boycott Tuesday's play-off game against the Los Angeles Clippers had the National Basketball Association (NBA) not sufficiently punished their opponent's team owner Donald Sterling over a racist-comments scandal. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

LOS ANGELES (REUTERS) - The Golden State Warriors were prepared to boycott Tuesday's play-off game against the Los Angeles Clippers had the National Basketball Association (NBA) not sufficiently punished their opponent's team owner Donald Sterling over a racist-comments scandal.

The Warriors opted to play, suffering a 103-113 loss to fall 2-3 behind in the best-of-seven series, but the contest was in jeopardy until NBA commissioner Adam Silver acted swiftly to punish the 80-year-old Sterling for remarks that have caused widespread disgust.

"If the league had said 'we're going to give a small fine and wait to see what happens' it would've put more on our hands and the Clippers' hands to do more tonight," Warriors big man David Lee told reporters at Staples Center. 'More' would have included walking off the floor in a show of protest, an act the Warriors proposed earlier in the day.

The Warriors went through their pre-game shoot-around with an eye towards Silver's news conference, which began around the time their practice session concluded.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos