Get the second issue of The Life e-magazine free in the ST Star app
The cover story of The Straits Times’ monthly digital magazine is on the Komodo Islands, which writer Lee Siew Hua visited on board a luxury schooner.
Published on Jul 25, 2014 11:55 AM
The second issue of The Life, The Straits Times' monthly e-magazine on the good things in life, is out. Get it free in The Straits Times Star app now.
This month's cover story is on the Komodo Islands, which Straits Times Life! travel writer Lee Siew Hua visited on board a luxury schooner. She also writes about coming face to face with Komodo dragons, the giant lizard species native to the region.
Art lovers will get to step inside the home of prominent Swiss art collector Uli Sigg - a 17th century castle located on an island 30 minutes by train from Lucerne in Switzerland - and see his amazing collection of artworks.
Also in the magazine - a visit to three of Singapore's lushest private gardens, where the owners have spent decades cultivating green sanctuaries that draw all kinds of wildlife. Foodies will also get to find out where the world's top chefs like to dine when they are not in their own kitchens.
The e-magazine is divided into five sections - Style, Pursuits, Travel, Food and Design, and is presented in a multimedia and interactive format. As with the debut issue that launched on June 27, this new issue can be downloaded free on The Straits Times Star (ST Star) mobile app for iPad (click here to download) and Android tablets and smartphones (download here for Android)
The first issue will continue to be available on the ST Star mobile app indefinitely.
Life! deputy editor and The Life editor Elisabeth Gwee says: "We hope The Life will become a monthly must-read for readers."
Polytechnic student Maximillian Er, 20, who downloaded the debut issue, says he enjoyed the article on one-Michelin-starred eateries in Hong Kong by Straits Times food critic Wong Ah Yoke.
"I liked the interactivity because on top of the text and pictures, I got to watch videos of Wong Ah Yoke trying the food at the restaurants. It made his article feel more personal."
The ST Star app has seen more than 11,630 downloads since it was launched on June 27.
On July 27, The Straits Times will launch in the app an e-book, 100 Hot Bods, which will feature some of the most impressive physiques from The Sunday Times' Hot Bods column.
How to download Issue 2 of The Life free
1. Please click on these links:
- ST Star app in the Apple App Store, or
- ST Star app on Google Play
2. Alternatively, go to the App Store or Google Play and search "Straits Times Star" to download the ST Star app, which is available for the iPad and Android tablets and smartphones. The app is designed for tablets and optimised for the iPad.
3. Once you are in the ST Star app:
- If you are a Straits Times All-In-One subscriber, log in using the same username or e-mail address and password that you use to log in to the ST app or www.straitstimes.com
- If you are not yet an All-In-One subscriber to The Straits Times, please click "I'm just browsing" to go to the storefront.
4. Once you are in the app's storefront, you can download Issue 2 of The Life magazine. Issue 1 is also available free.