Cigarette embers likely cause of fatal Marina Bay condo fire
Published on Jun 9, 2014 8:40 AM
The blaze on the 65th floor of Marina Bay Suites on Jan 13, which killed two security guards, was an accidental one and no foul play is suspected, a coroner's inquiry heard on Friday.
It had most likely started when cigarette embers ignited a trashbag of sawdust at the fireman's lift lobby there, said a police investigation report submitted to the court.
The fire then sustained itself on other materials and equipment nearby, including boxes and tins of paint. The lobby was next to one of the condominium's penthouse units, which was then undergoing renovation by workers from four different firms. Only 26 of the condominium's 221 units were occupied at the time.
Mr Sim Lai Huat, 45, and Ms Sooria Kala Kanaseon, 34, from Pico Guards, were burned to death when they went to investigate the fire.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!