More construction fatalities in the first half of this year
Published on Jul 3, 2014 1:40 PM
SINGAPORE - There were 17 fatalities in the construction sector in the first half of this year, up from 11 fatalities over the same period last year.
Urging industry stakeholders to employ good safety practices, senior parliamentary secretary for manpower and education Hawazi Daipi said the Government plans to employ stiffer enforcement measures on workplace safety. These include imposing higher penalties and tightening conditions for the lifting of Stop Work Orders.
Mr Hawazi was speaking at the Construction Safety, Health and Security Campaign conference on Thursday.
"These statistics are more than just numbers. Behind each of these fatalities is someone's spouse, parent, child, friend or colleague. We simply cannot allow the situation to deteriorate further," he said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here