Wednesday, Sep 3, 2014Wednesday, Sep 3, 2014
Singapore
 

Negligent pharmacist fined for causing patient's death with overdose

Published on May 16, 2014 2:57 PM
 

A former hospital pharmacist was fined $6,000 on Friday for causing the death of an elderly patient through negligence.

Siah Kah Ying, 30, a Singapore permanent resident, prescribed 5mg of a diabetic drug to Madam Chua Kim Kuan - ten times the amount she was meant to administer - after making an error in her notes.

The 78-year-old developed brain damage caused by very low blood glucose level due to the overdose at Tan Tock Seng Hospital on Sept 22, 2010.

She eventually died from bronchopneumonia and brain damage on Nov 12 that year.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos