Chemical spill on train: Restaurant manager charged
Published on May 24, 2014 8:48 AM
A nurse who sat on an MRT train seat suffered chemical burns after a previous passenger had rested a leaking jerry can of corrosive detergent on it.
Susukida Ryuji appeared in court yesterday charged with causing grievous hurt through a negligent act after he allegedly carried concentrated dishwasher fluid on a service between Marina Bay and Orchard on May 2 last year.
Court documents said the 53-year-old Japanese national, general manager of Men-ya Kaiko restaurant chain, allowed the detergent to leak over the priority seat, even though it was labelled "corrosive" and "irritant".
Nurse Wan Zahfirah Arshad, 25, later sat there and suffered burns that required her to take 20 days off work to recover.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!