Women kidnapped from Sabah resort freed without ransom, tweets PM Najib
Published on May 30, 2014 9:24 PM
KUALA LUMPUR - Two women, one a Chinese and another a Filipina, abducted from a resort off Semporna in Malaysia's Sabah state last month, have been released without any ransom paid, media reports said.
The Malaysian Insider reported that prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak tweeted about the release of Ms Gao Hua Yuan and Marcy Dayawan after nearly two months of capitivity.
Their release was secured by cooperation between the Malaysian and Philippines security forces, the tweet sent out Friday evening said.
"We are taking steps to facilitate the return of the Chinese national to her home as soon as possible," the tweets said. "No ransom paid to secure their release. Success due to cooperation of Malaysia and Philippines security forces. I thank all involved," Mr Najib tweeted.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!