Vietnam battles fatal measles outbreak that has killed more than 100 people
Published on Apr 18, 2014 7:13 PM
HANOI (AFP) - Vietnam is scrambling to contain a deadly outbreak of measles that has killed more than 100 people, mostly young children, and infected thousands more this year, the government said on Friday.
At least 112 people - the majority of them under 10 years old - have died of the disease so far in 2014, the Ministry of Health said in a statement.
It warned that the number of deaths could rise because of cross infections, bad weather and overcrowding at pediatrics hospitals in major cities where panicked parents are bringing their infected children.
Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung on Wednesday called for the authorities to be more "active" in preventing the spread of the disease.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!