Two Indonesians held after fatal Malaysia boat accidents
Published on Jun 20, 2014 6:02 PM
KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Malaysian authorities said on Friday they have arrested two Indonesian men in connection with one of two boat accidents that have left 15 people dead and 27 others still missing.
Eighty-two people have been rescued so far in an ongoing search off western Malaysia after the boats sank in separate incidents early Wednesday.
The boats, both believed to be bound for the neighbouring Indonesian island of Sumatra, were carrying illegal migrant workers heading home for the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
Mr Adnan Abdullah, head of criminal investigations in central Selangor state, said police had detained two Indonesians believed to be the shipping agent and coordinator of the boat that sank off Port Klang with 97 people aboard.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!