Philippines stops sending workers to Ebola-hit nations
Published on Aug 5, 2014 1:55 PM
MANILA -- The Philippines has stopped sending Filipino workers to Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia, where the deadly Ebola virus is quickly spreading.
In a news briefing on Tuesday, Health Secretary Enrique Ona said the temporary ban is being implemented, as health officials remain on "heightened alert" for symptoms of Ebola among travellers from the three West African states.
Mr Ona said five of 15 Filipinos who recently arrived from Sierra Leone are still under observation. The rest tested negative and had been released, he said.
The foreign ministry's spokesman Charles Jose also said on Tuesday that there has so far been no reports of Ebola infection among some 3,700 Filipinos in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!